Second home on the tour - Greengarden. The home is north of Route 50 on Greengarden Road. Built in 1823, the house was used as a hospital during the Civil War. All original floors and beautiful woodwork.
A trap door in the closet floor hid the owner of the house, Col. John Mosby's second in command, when northerners came looking for him. They stole his uniform, which was upstairs, but could not find him. (We saw the hole--it was SMALL!!) Later he reportedly tracked them down, retrieved his uniform, and captured the intruders.